Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pinwheel Sampler: Top Done!

The top is done!!! Yay! I have decided to do a thin sashing on it (1"). I am quite happy with the way it turned out. There are a couple of blocks that I wasn't 100% happy with, but I think all together they look quite nice.

This is probably a better picture of it:

For sashing I decided to do mitered borders. Since there were essentially 2 borders, the cream and the pink, the method that I was taught, was to attach the borders together first, then attach them to the quilt, then miter them. Here is a picture of the final result of the mitering:

I have to say that mitering is hard to do! I am not sure when I will be brave enough to try it again. I learned a couple of things from this quilt: firstly, the cream fabric was much thinner then the rest of the fabric. That Made it much harder to work with, because it would arch and gather until I would iron, and that would not be permanent either. Secondly, my 1/2 square triangle units are 2" finished. The sashing was 1". I was going to quilt it in diagonal lines going through the middle of each 1/2 square triange units, but then the problem is that now my lines can extend only as far as the single square, because if I were to make a continuous line through the sashing, it would hit the next square in a weird place...

No comments:

Post a Comment